7 October 2014

Week 4: Stories, Space & Songs

I've been trying to working out my ideas for my area of study and develop the themes and idea's I want to play with... and i've finally come up with a short story that i'll pitch to the class.

Story
An astronaut lands on a planet, she discovers a music box in a cave that starts to play and she dances to it in zero gravity (this will be the main bulk of the animation). It ends with has placing her flag in the planets surface and a 'creature' lurking inside the cave.

Concept panels!



Even if it isn't selected i'd really like to return to it at some point as I think there's A LOT I could learn from this - in terms of movement, rigging and compositing and it could work as either a 2D or 3D animation.

I've drawn a lot of inspiration from specific scenes/shots in tv, films and games as well as music (as per usual).

Moodboard
Follow Bimpe's board Animation Project Moodboard / References on Pinterest.


The Little Mermaid (1989)
One of my favourite animations - this scene in particular focuses on Ariel's movement, and this is something I think can be adapted to a zero-gravity space.




Final Fantasy X (2001)
Absolutely LOVE this scene from this game, and this is definitely the style i'd be looking at for my character's dance sequence - the slow motion sequences in particular




Serenity (2005)
This is more a reference for the transition scenes between the ships in conjunction to each other and then panning out to the wider composition (this would mainly be for my first scenes - when the characters craft lands)



Moon Walking 
General reference for walking on the moon!




For the dance sequence i'm still deciding whether it will be upbeat or a bit more sombre. But here's some of the music/style I had in mind.