15 May 2015

Week 35: Walking, Creeping and Cycling

Soooo after a long 10 days of 'recovery' i'm ready to kick this project into gear. I've been gathering together my references - which include the ones that Sushma helped me film as well as a few others that i've stalked from the old interweb.

I've been focusing on the walk cycle in particular because apart from the dance sequence this is the only 'major' movement that my character will be performing, and so I really really want to nail these. 

Also been doing some reading / looking at some tutorials (sup Digital Tutors) to try and get a handle on the creeping / exaggerated type of walk that i'm going for - which is particularly important seeing as her body movements will be doing all the talking (so to speak).

These are the styles that i'm going for.






(Reference footage for when my character creeps into the cave)

I've also been thinking ahead to when I block out the dance - this will all be pose to pose but I still want to have some of the exaggerated / jumpy movements that will be present in the walk cycle. Again I think the MTV ad and this video are perfect examples of this.


 
MTV DREAM BIG 20s from MTV WORLD DESIGN STUDIO MILAN on Vimeo.

This longer than expected break has put me off track again which means I have only 4 weeks left to animate - but i'm hoping to nail the walk cycles in the next week (along with tests), with the shorter animations the following week, followed by the 2 weeks for the dance sequence! Still feeling confident that I can achieve this (scarily enough).

On the non animation side, art and comic life is still occurring - with some slow ZBrush learning thrown in there for good measure. I've just been doing lots of sketching and trying to learn alternative ways of painting/drawing, to try an speed up my processes cause I am SO SLOW.

This is a quick sketch of a new character - Claudia.


Also been doing a lot more work on paper cause i'm so out f practice since becoming a slave to digital. For shammmeee