27 May 2015

Week 37: Mondays, Movements and MmmZbrush

SO this week is operation animation (yep). As I think I yammered on about in my previous post, the aim is to have most (if not all) of my 'secondary' animation done - like the walk cycle, etc.

I've been looking at lots of movement references (for things I didn't capture myself) for extra ideas. I found a really useful Movement Playlist on Youtube.


Anddddd some reference images - along with a couple of thumbnails that I did.


Soooooo I've attempted to apply these to my scene - her emerging from the space pod in particular.





INITIALLY, I was really happy with this (after staring at it for about 6 hours straight), however upon reflecting, and taking a step back to AGAIN make sure I was conveying the animation style i'm aiming for, I realised that it didn't lol.

It has that flowy type movement that i'm trying to avoid (and I know that comes with experience - which I think i'm getting more of). So AGAIN after looking at a few other references i've decided to redo my existing animations, including my walk cycle.

I think I can get the snapper / stylised look i'm going for if I take what I learnt from the current cycle and re-did the whole thing. So now that I'v refreshed my walk cycle memory, i'm going straight into creating the creeping walk instead of adding the adjustments on an animation layer.


I found some really useful references to base it on.




(TOO snappy, but still useful to look at)



Also found a few useful things to help in my endeavour!
  1. TIPS AND TRICKS
  2. SNAPPY ANIMATION
  3. ANIMATION STYLES
And here's my result so far!




There are still a couple of tweaks to make - the main one being the speed obviously lol, but this definitely captures what i'm going for. The foot bend not working (still not sure why) its definitely a bummer, but i'm working around it. Sushma's gonna cast an eye over these to give me a second set of eyes / advice.

This is definitely VERY good prep for the dance sequence - which I should have reference footage for by next week. I've been thinking about how to go about it, and sticking to this style reminded me of an animated fight scene. Sooooo I think looking at a fight scene animation would be really really REALLY useful as reference when i'm animating it.


________________________________
In ZBrush related news...

We're now getting along (thank you Digital Tutors), and i'm attempting to sculpt a bust... lol lol lol


Adaptive skin view


DT even gave me a fancy certificate for dedicating valuable Eastenders catch up time to loving up ZBrush.