6 July 2015

Week 42: A Dancing Decision

Sooooo i've been working on my final few shots these last few days - mainly 14 and 16 - where she dances out of the cave and when she lands back on the planet. For 14 in partcular I wanted to at least give keying the dance a go and i'm rather happy with the result...

I imported the track as a reference so I can get the timing correct annnddd I've been using photos as a reference via Bodies In Motion, not only because i've found this to be easier to block to, buttt I was silly and didn't actually capture the footage with Cristina as photos/video as my iPad wouldn't let me save anything.. definitely an oversight on my part.



It's finished now but i'm to lazy to playblast again sooo this is the dance blocked to the music.


Annndddd the jump for Shot 16 - there's a new version that's slightly tweaked to incorporate Sushma's feedback



Now... the serious bit.... a few days ago I was ready to write that I was having major issues with transferring my MoCap data onto my custom rig and controls in Maya..and was potentially considering keying the dance in the few weeks I have left... I still might for specific bits. BUT...

I have been VERY VERY lucky to stumble upon something glorious... the way to get my rig to all attach :D

HERE

Literally stupidly happy about this. I can now make all the tweaks I really needed to make, and fix the shoulders - which seem to have fixed themselves kinda now that they're on the rig :) Obviously the only downside is that there are now hundreds of keys baked onto my controls but im gonna take the week to clean this all up and fix things like the head and hands.

In terms of camera angles I want to play it smart and firstly by avoiding any major problem areas like dodgey twists that can't be fixed etc. But I also want to at least try and work with more angle and camera's than I have done in the rest of the film. So i'm looking at Final Fantasy X again for a lot of reference points for their dance / instrumental scenes... cause they're bloody awesome.

(7 mins in)






If I can do this this week that brings me a week ahead of schedule as rendering is now almost one - only this shot to put in and 14 and 16 to come out.

I need to start animating for Ritchie's project this week and get back on the coloring for Yannis.