4 December 2014

Comic Relief, Digital Propaganda, Animation 101

I Heart Comics
I've been looking at comics and games for a source of inspiration for my environment work - in general and for my final project. Although my project will be in a space setting I want to make sure my style is consistent - especially my line work and painting technique.

I've been looking at the artwork from Saga (Fiona Staples), Captain Marvel (Dexter Soy) Deadly Class (Wes Craig), I Kill Giants (JM Ken Niimura) and Low (Greg Tocchini).

I love Staple's painting style and palette, and if I do go 2D then I think this style could would really well without detracting too much from the rest of the animation.

Saga
Massive fan of Soy and Craig's layouts and compositions. There's obviously a lot more to them then will be involved in my project, but I think his work would be a good starting point for my personal comic project.

Captain Marvel
Deadly Class
Niimura's lines are some of my favourites, and this will probably be more reflected in personal projects!
I Kill Giants
Ahhh Low is stupidly beautiful, like stupidly, and Tocchini's work is just ridiculous. I'll definitely be studying his work and aiming to inject the same elegance into my personal and final project

Low



Digital vs. Traditional
If I go 2D, i've been weighing up whether or not to animate traditionally via pencil and scans, or work completely digitally... I'm more than comfortable with both, but i'm a LOT quicker digitally and I think I get get more done and be more versatile.

I've already ruled out using GIMP (although i'll still practice using it) - it has massive lag issues and considering my time-scale i'd be a lot more confident using Photoshop to produce all my lines precisely and effectively... Photoshopm is my friend.

Line Testing
Speaking of my friend Photoshop, i've been doing a little bit of very rough line testing. Photoshop's timeline/animation feature s very handy for testing, but I definitely won't be using it for my full animation.

I've still got heaps to learn, but i'll definitely be practising over Christmas, especially because I want to achieve much smoother and cleaner frame transitions.