11 April 2015

Bumps, Maps, Bump Mapping

From Displacements to bumps! More experimentation, and after doing a bit more research i'm definitely thinking that a slight bump map is the way to.

I considered cheating it slightly and just creating a bump from Nasa lunar images which created some interesting results... I tried some more extreme and then subtle values by tweaking the colour balances.

Nasa lunar image

I'm both intrigued and scared by these results hahah, but to be honest it's good that I tested it because it told me that I definitely needed to re-look at how I approach this. Most importantly doing it that way would not fit in with the style i'm attempting as it needs to look a lot more 2D. Sooo Photoshop it is!

I've been busying myself with painting a 2D diffuse map for the surface, and i'm rather happy with the results - and like the body i've added lines to it. I've made the craters in separate layers and want to use this for a slight bump map so I atleast get the appearance of a dip.

my high res 4k displacement map and stuff.
Here are the result again with a slight and more extreme bump. Again to fit in with the style it definitely needs to be more subtle, and I think I need to play around with the values a bit more to finalise the look.




Next step will be to test this out with my character on the surface. I'll also add a few of the rocks and see how it looks as well as the matte painting. Fingers crossed they'll also go well together.

More Daredevil distractions.

ALSO came across this cool animation. I think it might be helpful in terms of how I want to stylise my movements.