23 April 2015

Week 32: Nirvana

So i've just had the happy pleasure of watching Brett Morgen's (first) authorised Kurt Cobain documentary - Cobain: Montage of Heck.

I was keen to see it for 2 main reasons - 1. I'm a Nirvana fan (go figure) and 2. It features a lot of animation sequences to visualised Cobain's recorded dialogue and interviews.

The animation is a very cool 2D/3D hybrid by Stefan Nadelman and Hisko Hulsing, and annoyingly I couldn't find any footage of it online (yet), so a few stills will have to suffice!



I'm really really keen to start learning to 2D animate (well) next semester, along side ZBrush, and i'm hoping to get a few test done. There's just something about this animation that I really liked - and I think a lot of this comes from the music or dialogue it was visualising.

I may not have been able to find any of the actual animation, but I did find some of Hulsing's work which is pretty much in the same style as Montage of Heck

 
JUNKYARD - Hisko Hulsing from il Luster on Vimeo.

Lots to learn.

But in the meantime...

This is a work in progress...



and this...