25 February 2015

Toons, Texturing and Tribulations

ackkkkkkkkkkk.

Texturing.... ackkkkkk. I've been doing a bit of testing to figure out how I want to texture my character... i'm losing. ackkk.

I've worked out a way for it to work for me in terms of how I approach it - my brain works funny and I actually need to be able to visualise the face as a whole (as opposed to sections or what not) in order to paint it - but I still haven't managed to achieve the look i'm going for.

Using my model sheet to trace over her face :(
I've been working with different styles to try and get the 2D look I want to achieve and have been using a few references from some of my favourite comic colourists including Fiona Staples (Saga), Dexter Soy (Captain Marvel) and Greg Tocchini (Low).

Dexter Soy

Dexter Soy again
Fiona Staples
I think i'm gonna need to go back to the drawing board with this an approach it differently. I'm going to spend the next couple of days doing some more research on methods as opposed to style and hopefully i'll be able to achieve some results over the weekend so I can move into production territory next week.

As if I love painting but not texturing. pfftt..