10 March 2015

Borderlands, Bumps and Beautiful Mudbox

Working my way through my body texturing - trying a slightly different approach to this one. I found a GREAT tutorial (finally) on replicating the 2D Borderland style texture. I don't want to fully copy it but there are elements that I'd really like to play around with!
Mucked around with projecting a catsuit stencil to my body model and have been adding in some extra details like lines and different tones. 
I'm kind of happy at the moment but I really need to tweak the bump which is a bit to heavy at the moment - even on a 9% transparency - again I used the same bump stamp I created to use on the face - but i'll probably re-evaluate this.
I did a couple of quick render tests - just block colouring the other body assets like the shoulderpads etc to get a more rounded view of where i'm out and how she's turning out.
Mental Ray render with sun and sky indirect lighting

Mental Ray render - TO MUCH BUMP!

Maya render to see Toon shader
Really really happy with how the textures are turning out!! But things I now need to do / consider
  1. If i'm going down the whole borderlands lines route then I really need to go for it - they need to be clearer and bolder, otherwise they just look like smudge lines
  2. Drop that bloody bump - or remove it, will need to test
  3. Add a bit more tone variation on the body
  4. Maybe add a slight Specular map to the face and body 
UPDATE
Completely dropped the body bump to about 3% which is heaps better. Also added a slight spec map to the face - need to add to the body. Also refined the lines on the body. Maya's sun lighting makes it a bit less clear but I know I can change this. But happy with it so far