22 November 2014

Textures, Trials and Tribulations

SUCCESS!

I now have a fully textured character model and I am feeling happy about it.


It was quite a soothing process. I decided to texture via UP maps in Photoshop. Photoshop does have a 3D option which is really helpful, so you can paint straight on your model, but I didn't want to stress out my laptop with the rendering needed to smooth it for the important.


My go to for references was The Incredibles and Wall-E - I felt they were both similar in terms of the textures / look and feel I want to achieve.

I checked out a couple of tutorials for how to get the glowing effect I wanted. The 2 below were super simple and helpful!

How To Make Objects Glow
  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CijESEporUo
  2. http://nealbuerger.com/2012/02/create-neon-glow-effect/
I also added a couple of grungy textures to the suit to make it look a bit more worn

Now for a few photos and my end result.

my spiffy coloured UV map
Glow type 1 - TOO BRIGHT!!


Glow type 2 - BETTER!






Testing render snapshot with different background
Testing render snapshot with different background

I can't look at this anymore otherswise i'll start nit picking and trying to change things.... but all in all, very happy with the result. I might import her into Mudbox to paint over the seams as a final clean up.

3D is fun, and I am still slow.

UPDATE:
Also decided to do an animated turn