16 November 2014

The Slowest Modeller Alive...

I really am the slowest modeller... I keep getting too into it and treating it like its a painting which will probable be an issue at some point when it comes to meeting deadlines...

This model in particular has taken me a beautiful 40 hours over 4 days (with very little sleep... again, got far to into it). But i'm soo sooo happy with it, and as a result I think i've learned quite a bit about Maya and my own modelling style (slow).

I only realised AFTER i'd modelled the head and got halfway through the body that  modelling the female topology is HARD for a beginner, but well worth it.

I ran in to a couple of issues like extra hidden faces and smoothing issues, but found that sometimes it really is just easier to delete faces /sections and rebuild for my own sanity and to get a better result.

Got some extra help for the female body from the Digital Tutors tutorial which was perfect, and a Youtube video I came across which was really helpful for modelling the head as the style was a bit similar to what I wanted to achieve - this took me 30 hours cause i'm ridiculous.


I knew it would take a while because it involved a few things I hadn't tried yet, and involved modelling the face from a cube first then setting the topology using planes. It really did set me up for modelling the body a lot quicker.... Although next time i'll just stick to modelling the face from a plane like Sean showed us ha.

After modelling the face, I decided to change the shape of the face slightly from my plane to give it less of a realistic feel, and make it a bit more cartoony because I thought this would work really well and look a bit better!

Some screen grabs of my progress














MERGED!


I'm finish texturing her in Mudbox, which hopeful won't take me anywhere near as long....huzzah

UPDATE:

I've added a few extra details to her for her suit and the mini light panels around her neck. I've also modelled out her helmet. I've been looking for a few tutorials of how I can make the helmet transparent, will see how it goes!