3 November 2014

Week 8: Collections, Concepts and Can't We Just Draw All Day...

This weekend I went to the Scottish National Gallery in Edinburgh for a bit of fun and for some inspiration!

Portraits are where i'm most at home - so naturally I was running around the portrait exhibition, but I wanted this course to really stretch my range and abilities, and environment is one of the things I wanted to develop. So I took a little jaunt around the landscapes to hopefully pick up some ideas for my own project (even though it will be space themed).




 This definitely got me thinking about the gaps in my project, and after talking to a classmate, for the next couple of weeks I want to focus of developing some high quality conceptual art showcasing up to 5 key stages of my story, emphasising the space landscape and textures (I need to break out of my character art/design comfort zone).

I've been looking around for inspiration on sites and books including CONCEPT ART WORLD - which will probably be my go to site for ideas and inspiration :D - they also provide course. There are also some great PINTEREST boards out there that are regularly updated, and i'll need to keep updating my own inspiration board.

I've also got a couple of books that we hopefully help me develop my skills - Geoff Taylor's How To Draw And Paint: Science Fiction Art and Volume 1 of The Sci-Fi & Fantasy Art Book. 

I really want to make sure I keep up my own personal project outside the course, as I feel that anything I learn and develop will be easily transferable to the conceptual / pre-production side of the course - especially technique wise when it comes to my landscapes.

I've been looking at the digital paintings of Sam Spratt and his technique focuses on using and manipulating values and tones to create these absolutely stunning photo-realistic portraits.


And I'd quite like to practice applying these to my own works, especially the landscapes. I already had a go at trying this out with a personal portrait and i'm really happy with the result! 


Looking forward to testing this out in both Photoshop and on my iPad using Procreate. Found a great site and tutorials to help with this - ART STUDY ONLINE - NIKKO.Will make sure to update my blog with my progress :)